"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Back to the grind

I'm finally recovering from Las Vegas (if you want to hear about it, there are multiple journal entries covering it in rather excruciating detail starting here), except for the cold that I brought home with me. So, back to this.

I'm fairly impressed by this one: the Houston Chronicle calling Bush on the infamous "rule of law" memo:
The United States' moral authority to call for the rule of law and respect for human rights has been undermined by legal machinations the Bush administration undertook to justify torturing prisoners taken in the war on terror.

Administration officials have attempted to downplay the significance of a March 6, 2003, Justice Department memorandum that concluded that, as commander in chief in time of war, President George W. Bush is bound neither by federal law nor the tenets of the Geneva Conventions that ban torture as a means of extracting information from detainees.
(Found via Talking Points Memo, not because I actually read my local newspaper or anything.) (Yeah, I know, I gotta start doing that...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home