"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Naming my nonexistent baby

Ya know, I'm 45 years old and have never had a baby. I'm pretty sure that I will never have a baby. (Although saying that immediately makes me worry about birth-control failures. Eek!) But for some reason, I still pay way too much attention to baby names. I guess it's one of those girl things.

And who knew my taste in names was so trendy? Except for the top choice, Ava, which I'm not too crazy about, I like all of the "rising" names. (Well, except maybe Cadence. Eh. And while I like Madison, it may be a little too trendy for my taste, which may be why it manages to be in both the Rising and the Falling list at the same time.) I said not long ago that Violet was probably my current favorite girl's name, and there it is at #2. I have always liked the "old-fashioned" names, and that's what most of that list is - Emma, Olivia, Sophia. The names that nobody would have dreamed of giving their children when I was a kid. (As I said, I'm 45. Every other girl in my class was named Cindy.) By contrast, most of the Falling list are names I'm not terribly fond of. Allison? Meh. Melissa? Yawn. (Although obviously I like the short version!)

Oh, and this whole alternate spelling things has got to go. I mean, Aidan-Aiden, okay, but this one?
Caden-Cadin-Caeden-Kaden-Kaeden-Kaiden
Shudder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home