"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Dead on the ground

(I was going to call this "Wednesday link-o-rama" or something like that, but now I have CSNY's "Ohio" stuck in my head, so I thought I would pass the earworm along instead.)

I didn't know today was the 35th anniversary of Kent State. (You know, it's funny, I was 10 when that happened, and we watched the news every night, but I don't even remember paying too much attention that day. It's weird how things go right over your head when you're a kid.)


Those pesky Chinese textile imports are causing problems again, even though western nations were given 10 years to prepare for the worldwide lifting of quotas.
“Why are some politicians now not recognising that fact?” [a WTO official] asked. "I can see two explanations: either their memory is too short or they know that perfectly well and pretend to be surprised, which is frankly a sign of hypocrisy."
While I hate to pass up the opportunity to call a politician a hypocrite, I'm actually guessing it's explanation #1: they forgot all about it.


I bet you won't be seeing this guy on the nightly news. (That via Hannah at TUS, who knows him.)


Divvying up the profits from Fahrenheit 9/11. (Although this link was found via Beth at TUS, which means that most of my readers have probably already seen it.) (Also, somewhere in that article is the old and not very surprising info that Moore is doing a sequel - but somehow I had missed seeing that before.)



Some interesting links from Bankrate:
--On the legalities of living together.
--When you call your boss crazy, you might be right.
--And you know those keytags where you can pay by just waving it at the gas pump? Soon you may just be able to wave your cell phone instead.


I was going to link to a piece that Col gave me the link to yesterday about a very brave sign-language interpreter, but since Col already wrote about it today, I'll just link to him instead. But if you haven't already seen it, it's worth checking out.


And finally, on life in the bunker with Hitler. Actually, I didn't know anybody came out of there alive.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Jesus was the prototype of the hippie, wasn't he? I didn't quite get that when I was 10. (Well, I noticed the resemblance, having gone to Sunday School a LOT. I just didn't really realize it was deliberate.)

I've been thinking lately that I would love to see some of these Moral Majority types come face-to-face with Jesus. You know they wouldn't give him the time of day.

11:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home