"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Dangerous Religion

While at an appearance in Pennsylvania Amish country,
Bush reportedly told the group, “I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn’t do my job.’’
(from here, found through Political Wire - and quoted by practically everybody)

This has always been my #1 problem with Bush. I've never put much credence in people who think that god speaks to them or through them - I'm inclined to think that you hear what you want to hear in such situations. And furthermore, if you think you're getting divine guidance, you're not going to be very open to the idea that you could be wrong. I know people who think that Bush's faith isn't genuine, but as time has gone on, I've become more convinced that it is. Which to me is more scary than if he was faking it.

Sojourner magazine has more to say about Dangerous Religion.
The real theological problem in America today is no longer the Religious Right but the nationalist religion of the Bush administration—one that confuses the identity of the nation with the church, and God's purposes with the mission of American empire.


And in other Bush-related journalism, there's The real flip-flopper, by Ariana Huffington.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home