"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

(To heck with the titles)

Bottom of the first. Renteria hits the first pitch weakly to third. (Incidentally, my one and only foul ball was hit by Renteria - off Danny Darwin, in 1996. Renteria was a rookie then, I think.) Pujols hits a double to deep right-center. Bonds next. Low and away. (I'm interested in whether they're really going to pitch to him.) And he does, and Bonds pops it up to medium center. Rolen with 2 strikes, takes a pitch that looked awfully close to me, but gets hit by the next pitch. So Sosa's up with 2 outs and 2 on. Sosa hits the first pitch for a hit, and breaks his bat. 6-1 AL.

Piazza gets 3 consecutive balls, and it looks like Clemens is done, not surprisingly. (They had somebody warming up before the top of the inning was over.) Piazza strikes out.

Catwoman ad. That movie doesn't look so great. We've already had some gratuitous I, Robot promos during the pre-game. I guess it's safe to guess that it's a Fox movie.

New pitcher is Kolb, the Brewers' closer. I think Randy Johnson was intended to be the 2nd pitcher, after Clemens' 2 innings, but I guess he'll do the 3rd as scheduled. Ichiro grounds out. Pudge gets a bloop hit. (Pudge likes Yanni? That's a weird little tidbit to throw in.) Guerrero pops up to center. And... I lost track for a minute and don't know where the 3rd out came in, but it did.

Mulder still pitching in the bottom of the 2nd. Berkman and Kent are both out. Barry Larkin pinch-hits. Loaiza is supposed to pitch the 3rd. Larkin is out.

Randy Johnson is now pitching for the NL. They're talking about whether he will be traded. My opinion is that he almost definitely will, although I have no idea to who(m). Giambi gets a 1-out hit.

Even signing Clemens doesn't hold a candle to the Randy Johnson trade, in great Astros' moments, as far as I'm concerned. That was so much fun. I went to almost every game he pitched in Houston that year - I think I missed one of them because I had a work function to go to, and I wasn't happy about it.

Ken Harvey of the Royals is the pinch-hitter (with the bases loaded and one out). He's one of the couple of AL guys that I've never really heard of. And... he's out. Ichiro up for the 3rd time. Johnson throws a slider for strike 2. (Apparently both of the homers Clemens gave up were sliders, too, incidentally.) But Ichiro grounds to 1st. Inning over.

Stevie (Loaiza) is pitching now. 2 outs already, and Bonds up. There, Stevie threw him a strike - one out of five pitches. Bonds walks. Base hit Rolen, but Sosa grounds out to end the inning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home