"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Golden Globes, part 3

Well, I hit "publish" when I meant to hit "save draft" but oh well. So, part 3. Meanwhile, Teri Hatcher has beaten Sarah Jessica-Parker out for Actress in a TV Series, which makes me ridiculously happy. SJP has won quite enough awards, thank you. (Is Teri Hatcher really over 40? Hmm, IMDb says yes, but just barely - as of last month. Still, that's older than I thought she was.)

This shows you what I know. Usher and Lisa-Marie Presley are presenting the soundtrack award, and I said, "There's no way Howard Shore will win, he won everything last year." So, naturally, he did.

Songs - the nominees are "Accidentally in Love" which I sort of hate, and a lot of songs which I have never heard of: "Believe" from The Polar Express, a song from Phantom which must've been written specifically for the movie (so as to be award-eligible, presumably), one from Hotel Rwanda and one from Alfie. And the one from Alfie wins, which at least gets Mick Jagger up on stage. That's always entertaining.

Prince comes out (to introduce the clip for Ray), and starts talking, very quietly, while everybody is still applauding. He is followed by Ron Howard, who seems to have taken his cue from that and is shouting. Best director: Clint Eastwood. He gets almost as much applause as Prince.

Diane Keaton, who I'm guessing won Best Actress last year, is presenting Best Actor in a Musical/Comedy. Jim Carrey, Jamie Foxx, Paul Giamatti, Kevin Kline & Kevin Spacey are the nominees. I'm thinking Jamie Foxx, and I'm right! Jamie Foxx is a new face here, as far as being a respected actor. Hasn't he mostly done comedies until recently? (As a matter of fact I am ashamed to say that I couldn't even remember who he was most of the time until very recently. I always think he's a Wayans brother.)

Long pause for the DeMille Award, which goes to Robin Williams. It's worth sitting through all the clips for his speech, though. Robin Williams improvising is always worth the price of admission.

Meanwhile, I have looked up Jamie Foxx on IMDb, because I wanted to know whether he was really from Terrell, Texas, which he is (never mind that I have no earthly idea where that is) - but I see that he is doing Jarhead, which is exciting because I had no idea that they were making a movie of that!

Eek! Orlando Bloom! (OK, maybe the sangria is going to my head.) And then, speaking of boy-actors, Leo goes and wins Best Actor. Back to IMDB to see how old DiCaprio actually is - and my goodness, he's 30. I still have a great deal of trouble thinking of him as an adult.

(Is this a sign of age, thinking everybody is younger than they are? I don't know.)

Best TV series, comedy: Desperate Housewives.
Best Actress (drama, I'm assuming): Hilary Swank. (Man, you'd think the woman didn't already have an Oscar, she's so excited.)
Best Picture, musical/comedy: Sideways.
Best Picture, drama (they are moving fast now, they must be running out of time): The Aviator

Whew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home