"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Liveblogging the Golden Globes

(That's what this is called, right? I've been doing it since way before I knew there was a word for it, anyway - for that matter, I've been doing it in one form or another since before there was an internet. Not that I have anything all that profound to say, normally, but that doesn't stop me.)

Hmm, Renee Zellweger is presenting something that I've missed already. Best Supporting? Well, Clive Owen won, anyway. Yum. (Also, Renee needs to get the blonde hair back. Being a brunette doesn't seem to do anything for her.)

Now Tim Robbins is presenting - also Best Supporting. And... Natalie Portman, also for Closer. She has on what appears to be some sort of flapper dress. I can't see the whole thing, so it's hard to be sure. And she's gushing her head off, but how can you blame her, I guess.

I need to pay more attention if I'm going to do this, because the commercial is over and they're presenting another award and once again I don't know what it is. Seems to be television, female - TV movie, maybe? The winner is Angelica Huston. Oh, it's TV supporting (which can be series, miniseries or movie, apparently). And while I was typing that, William Shatner won the men's version. "I wanna thank the wife," he starts off. Has Shatner ever won any sort of major award before? I can't imagine that "T.J. Hooker" got a lot of Emmy nominations, and I'm pretty sure "Star Trek" was roundly ignored back in the day, too.

Another commercial break, then scenes from Kinsey. Now Jim Carrey is talking about Italian contributions to entertainment - ah, he's introducing the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. (Sometimes it's really hard to figure out where they're going with this stuff, even when you are paying attention.)

OK, this one is definitely Actress in a TV Series. And Mariska Hargitay wins. Cool! "I kinda want to thank everybody I've ever met right now," she says. I was looking her up just the other day, because I wanted to know if my memory was correct and she was actually Jayne Mansfield's daughter - she is. And oh look, her father is there. I wasn't even sure if he was still alive, either.

Speaking of show-biz children, Miss Golden Globe tonight is Clint Eastwood's daughter.

Actor, TV series - Ian McShane, "Deadwood" - huh? OK, I sort of vaguely know that there is a series called "Deadwood" but I've certainly never seen it. And I have no clue who Ian McShane is.

Sam Jackson introduces The Incredibles - I had forgotten he was in it, actually. They follow that up with clips from all the nominated TV movies, which is good, because who has actually seen all of these? I never have, even when I had HBO. And The Life and Death of Peter Sellers is the winner.

Meanwhile, Jason Bateman has won for "Arrested Development" - I've never seen it, but I hear it's good, so that's nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home