"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Helping rich people

Josh Marshall linked to this video of former Texas Lt. Governor Ben Barnes, taken at a Kerry rally recently, in which Barnes talks about how he got George Bush into the Texas National Guard.
Let’s talk a minute about John Kerry and George Bush and I know them both. And I’m not name dropping to say I know ‘em both. I got a young man named George W. Bush in the National Guard when I was Lt. Gov. of Texas and I’m not necessarily proud of that. But I did it. And I got a lot of other people into the National Guard because I thought that was what people should do, when you're in office you helped a lot of rich people. And I walked through the Vietnam Memorial the other day and I looked at the names of the people that died in Vietnam and I became more ashamed of myself than I have ever been because it was the worst thing that I did was that I helped a lot of wealthy supporters and a lot of people who had family names of importance get into the National Guard and I’m very sorry about that and I’m very ashamed and I apologize to you as voters of Texas.


Oh my. One of the sponsors of the Federal Marriage Amendment has resigned, after being outed by a website called BlogActive, which claims to have multiple tapes of him calling a gay phone-sex line. (It looks like the tapes are on the website to listen to; naturally I have no idea about whether this all is for real other than the fact that the man has actually resigned over it. Which sort of speaks for itself, doesn't it?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home