"Every why hath a wherefore." - Comedy of Errors, Act 2, Scene 2

Friday, May 21, 2004

Let America Be America

It's rumored that the above is going to be Kerry's campaign slogan. I don't remember ever having read this poem by Langston Hughes before, but if those are the notes Kerry intends to strike, it sounds about damn perfect to me.
Sure, call me any ugly name you choose--
The steel of freedom does not stain.
From those who live like leeches on the people's lives,
We must take back our land again,
America!

O, yes,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath--
America will be!



Edited to add that I think I left a word off that slogan - it's supposed to be "Let America Be America Again." Which does make more sense, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home